Universalis

Saturday, September 06, 2003

23rd Sunday Ordinary Time (B)

From Isaiah 35:
Say to the ones whose hearts are frightened:
be strong, fear not!

Then will the eyes of the blind be opened,
then will the ears of the deaf be cleared,
then the tongue of the mute will sing.


In the gospel, Jesus heals a deaf man
and he hears and speaks.
Then Jesus, after giving him voice,
bids him keep silence,
but he cannot comply.
The more that silence is enjoined,
the more the blessed gentleman proclaims the wonder.

Now that the Resurrection has come,
our Lord and Love is no longer enjoining silence;
but he still opens minds and hearts,
eyes and ears and lips.
We beg for this every time the Gospel is proclaimed.

Lord be in my mind,
Lord be on my lips,
Lord be in my heart;
that I may worthily hear,
that I may worthily know,
that I may worthily proclaim
Your holy gospel.

As I claim my mind for Christ.
As I claim my lips for Christ.
As I claim my heart for Christ.

That we may know him.
That we may proclaim His wonders.
That we may love Him beyond all others,
He the All-good, the Ever-faithful.
.
.

No comments: