Universalis

Thursday, November 27, 2003

To give thanks

I'm back from Mass, and then Thanksgiving dinner at the Open Door Cafe. And there is so much to be thankful for.

Thanks for my warm and dry Anchor Hold, for a small dependable income sufficient for my needs, and a responsible, quiet, and helpful tenant in the upstairs who even pays his bills.

Thanks for the strength and health to strive for those "fifteen to twenty years of medically managable symptoms" that are in the paragraph after the paragraph about "incurable and fatal."

Thanks for a (mostly) peaceable life, for frequent graces and favors, for this unbelievably blessed local Church, for my three good bishops and two wonderful parishes.

For the Open Door Cafe and the Cathedral Center for Women and Children.

For my dad, my brothers and sisters and brothers-in-law, nieces and nephews, and all my kin that give me my notorious large family prejudice.

For this city, its gifts and history, its insistence, even when there's failures, on good governance.

For the snow and ice that's been staying well away. For the fine couple who shovels my snow and mows my viney yard. For the postal carrier and the oxygen delivery guy and the kind cabbies who bring my groceries all the way to the door when I go to the store, and the Transit Plus drivers.

For Medicare and Compcare Blue, and the doctors and therapists and technicians whose bills they pay for me.

For so very much --- I could type forever!

Thank you, my Lord, my Love.
.

No comments: