Universalis

Friday, November 18, 2005

A Yahrzeit light for Gerard Serafin

Granted, I've been very distracted torturing myself for the physical terrorists, but I can't just let this drift by; I owe him.....

Mother of God, Light in All Darkness.

Back in the mid-1990's when I first entered the listserv world --- I was kknapp@omnifest.uwm.edu then jochebed@phantasy.com back then --- Gerard was already there, bearing witness to the truth of the Faith and, even more so, to the everlasting faithfulness and ever-deeper depths of the heart of Jesus. [The word "heart" he always printed in red as a witness.]

In May of 2002, that fateful month, his was the very first blog I ever saw. Since it was such a fateful time, I was blogging long before I had any idea what I was doing, and Gerard encouraged me. And when the chaos moved from my neighborhood to his, I tried my very best to encourage him.

One of his very last public acts of mercy was to beg for prayers for me when I was hospitalized this time last year. And one year ago this morning, Gerard Serafin, faithful witness to the everlasting love of God and priest forever, was born to life true and eternal.

Gerard, I pray for you. Please pray for me, and for all of us who live in the cyberworld you served, and your site continues to serve, so well.

Gerard's site: The Catholic Pages for Lovers

Gerard's blog: A Catholic Blog for Lovers

.

7 comments:

Mimi said...

May his Memory be Eternal!

Anonymous said...

May God rest his soul.

On another topic:

It really bothers me that you keep using the word 'terrorist' in the context of your physical therapists. Especially in the current political and social climate. These folks, in my experience, perform a difficult job with grace, perserverence, and dedication. This is just a minor quibble, I know, but could you think about choosing some other word? My PTs were saints...

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I am so glad you reminded us of this good man. Yes, may His memory be eternal.

I miss him so much, and have never found anyone on the web with quite the same mix of sensibilities as he had. We were uniquely blessed to have him.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I too miss Gerard.

Terrence Berres said...

He also complied the list of Some Catholic Blogs, one of those reference sites that visitors can so easily take for granted.

Gen X Revert said...

Thank you for reminding me. Gerard always pointed his blog to the great things in life, to the beautiful that can be easy to forget when dealing with everyday life. He did a great thing by occasionally reminding St. Blog's not to be too negative, which is the parish's (and my) greatest tendency.

Dave said...

May his memory be eternal!