Universalis

Friday, June 21, 2002

Just arrived home from Cousins Center; and there is a definite second to yesterday's modest proposal. The folk with whom I raised the subject had already been inspired themselves in the same way. I guess, what else could be expected of faithful charismatic people?

for today's contemplation: from St Augustine:

Late have I loved you,
Beauty so ancient and so new,
Late have I loved you!
Lo, you were within,
but I outside, seeking there for you,
and upon the shapely things you have made
I rushed headlong --- I, misshapen.
You were with me, but I was not with you.
They held me back far from you,
these things which would have no being,
were they not in you.
You called, shouted, broke through my deafness;
you flared, blazed, banished my blindness;
you lavished your fragrance, I gasped; and now I pant for you;
I tasted you, and now I hunger and thirst;
You touched me, and I burned for your peace.
.

No comments: