Universalis

Saturday, October 12, 2002

A Hymn of St Ephrem the Syrian

I fall in adoration at Your feet, Lord!
I thank You, God of goodness;
God of holiness, I invoke You,
on my knees, in Your sight.

For me, an unworthy sinner,
You have willed to undergo the death of the Cross,
setting me free from the bonds of evil.

What shall I offer You in return for Your generosity?

Glory to You, friend of man!
Glory to You, most merciful!
Glory to You, most patient!
Glory to You, Who forgive sin!
Glory to You, Who have come to save us!
Glory to You, Who have been made man in the womb of a Virgin!
Glory to You, Who have been bound!
Glory to You, Who have have been scourged!
Glory to You, Who have been derided!
Glory to You, Who have been nailed to the Cross!
Glory to You, laid in the sepulchre, but risen again!
Glory to You, Who have preached the Gospel to men and have been believed!
Glory to You, Who have ascended to Heaven!
Glory to You, seated at the right hand of the Father,
and Who will return with Him, in majesty, among the angels,
to judge those who have disregarded your Passion!

The powers of Heaven will be shaken;
all the angels and archangels, the cherubim and seraphim
will appear in fear and trembling before Your glory;
the foundations of the earth will quake
and all that has life will cry out before Your majesty.

In that hour, let Your hand draw me beneath Your wings,
and save me from the terrible fire, from the gnashing of teeth,
from the outer darkness and from despair without end.
That I may sing to Your glory:
Glory to Him Who through His merciful goodness
has designed to redeem the sinner.
.

No comments: