Universalis

Wednesday, October 23, 2002

A little adventure in consumerism....

For the first time last night, I bought some books from Amazon.com. I just couldn't do without some basic reference books any more.

I wasn't just a public library worker, I was a public library user, and I depended upon the library copies of so many things. But it has been more than a year since I've been able to go to the library. I also used to haunt used bookstores, where I'd buy the ugly-looking copies because they read the same as the pretty copies but didn't cost as much. But wheelchairs and used bookstores just don't mix: tall shelving, narrow aisles with piles, and so on .... so I took a new adventure, buying new books from a retail book supplier. Now the wait for the boxes to show up on the porch, and the bill to show up too .....
.

No comments: