Universalis

Wednesday, January 08, 2003

Coping with the professionally outraged

The other day I visited a site that, in perfect hindsight, I had no business being at. Now generally, if it's written, I'll read it; I try to read every blog on Gerard's Giant Catholic Blog List at least once or twice a week. So, that site is on the list, so it got read --- and there was a posting calling certain other Catholics who had organized a prayer vigil "pagan" and also claimed that they were antilife and hadn't read anything on the Church's position on warfare. So I posted, mentioning that among Catholics, prayer vigils are not a pagan activity. Oh me, oh my! I finally have come to the conclusion that I just have to shake off my shoes and wipe down my wheels and stay out of there.

Why don't I learn to recognise the professionally outraged _before_ I get in hot water with them? I'm always presuming everybody else is speaking in good faith, and getting burned; but I can't live suspiciously presuming the worst of everybody, that's only crazy-making, not sanctifying at all. Oh, well. Live and learn.
.

No comments: