Universalis

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Patience, patience......

My street is still iced over from the blizzard 10 days ago, so I'm still stuck inside today. But the temperature is supposed to be well above freezing for the next four or five days, so the street should thaw out for me to get to Mass next week. I'm very eager; though I'm better off than some shut-ins because the Mass I normally attend is also broadcast, so I don't miss absolutely everything (but the radio's just not the same, or even sufficient).

My mind is already getting a bit dull and stultified from cabin-fever, and it's not even New Years yet. Just if my neighbors, who are all able-bodied and drive, could catch some excitement about having bare pavement --- mostly they're happy if they have a set of passible ruts for their cars, and percieve no need for more. And there's only so much shovelling I can arrange and so much cash I can spend on rocksalt to salt _the_city's_street_.

Oh, well, Advent is the season for training in patience, after all.......

.

3 comments:

Amy said...

You know, if you ever want us to bring you Communion, we'd be more than happy to do so.

Anonymous said...

I would gently suggest that if you need or want your neighbor's assistance for tasks such as ice removal - ask them! I know that, being fortunate enough to be able-bodied, and busy, I often don't notice the more-or-less obvious things that perhaps I should notice and attend to for others. I personally am grateful for gentle reminders. Maybe your neighbors would be too. If I were your neighbor and you asked for my aid you would always get it immediately.

Just a thought.

Karen Marie said...

The immediate neighbors are already helping with the shovelling of my private walk and a path to the "upright" (N-S segment) of the T-shaped street. Supposedly the city plows and salts the N-S --- but half the time we get forgotten, and the other half we only get one pass of the plow, being even smaller than a tertiary street. It's one of the effects of living on a street with no sidewalks and no curbs, littler than most alleys and driveways......Living on a top 5 most obscure street in town has both advantages and disadvantages.